Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 13: How I'd End the Final Book, Part 2



~~~
"Hello, Eric," she said as she opened the door and stood aside so the tall, blonde vampire could glide in.
"Hello, wife," he said, reminding her of the vampire ceremony she had unwittingly participated in at Fangtasia.
"You sure about that?" she asked. "I'm going to find out what it takes to get a divorce, just so you know. I'm giving you the information you did not give me. I broke our blood bond and now I'm undoing this, so you can just take yourself to Oklahoma and marry Freyda.
"How dare you think I'd use the last fairy magic I had to get you out of a situation you can take care of yourself?"
As she kept going, she felt herself losing her temper.
"I cannot believe you thought enough of yourself, and so little of me, to think I would take all the heat for you not marrying a woman when your maker -- the maker who is DEAD NOW -- set up for you. How dare you think I could take care of this little problem for you. If you needed that much proof of my love, well, you can simply forget it. I'm glad I saved Sam. Sam has been a better friend to me that you ever have."
As she said it, she was aware of things clicking into place and a new and amazing idea bloomed in her mind.
"Sam has always been there for me. He has always been my friend. He has always been kind to me, even when I didn't deserve it. We have been friends for so long.
"We kissed you know," she said, remembering sitting on the same couch in Sam's arms. "If Bill hadn't walked in right then, who knows what would have happened."
"I'd sure like to find out."
Sam's drawl rocketed thorough the room, surprising both Sookie and Eric.
"Chere, I know I'd be dead right now if you hadn't done whatever it is you did," he said, staring at her with a new, soft light in his eyes. "I'm looking forward to finding out."
"Eric, it's time for you to go," Sookie said, realizing she meant it with all her heart. "You go back to Shreveport and we'll talk more about this later. Sam and I have some catching up to do."
Eric was staggered, horrified that his selfishness had now cost him the one thing he had wanted since she sashayed into his bar.
"Sookie, please," he began.
"Eric, don't make me rescind my invitation to you. Please, for once, be a gentleman and leave," Sookie said steadily. "Go now."
He left.
She turned to face Sam almost shyly. It had come back to her that the Cluviel dor only worked if the wish she made was based in love.
"Hi Sam. You hungry? I'll fix you something."
At that moment, a voice she loved interrupted her sun-drenched reverie.
"Shug, lunch is ready. You want to grab the kids and come inside now?" Sam said.
"Yup. We're on our way," she said, recalling their brief courtship, his sweet proposal, their simple and lovely wedding and her surprise pregnancy which probably happened on their honeymoon in Miami.
~~~
The rest of "Dead Ever After" would be the details of her conversations with Bill and Eric, Eric's decisions about Freyda and the vampires' final acceptance of Sookie's real love for Sam Merlotte and how they would carry on with their eternal lives without Sookie Stackhouse, who had made her choice and moved on.














No comments:

Post a Comment